Job Title: Controller Department: Corporate Accounting
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer Location: Great Falls, MT
This role is responsible for the oversight of operational (grain) accounting over a broad five state geographic area. As part of this role, this person will work closely with the Director of Accounting on financial reporting and to ensure Columbia Grain’s financial records are in accordance with US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). Additionally, this position is responsible for providing accounting and administrative support to elevator clerks, elevator managers, and supervising accounting and administrative staff members at the Great Falls, Montana accounting hub.
Direct management responsibility of the following individuals: Accounting Manager, Settlement Clerks, Receptionist
Duties and Responsibilities
Operational Accounting Oversight
- Develop and maintain a full understanding of Columbia Grain’s various supply chains and the proper operational and financial accounting in accordance with US GAAP
- Oversee operational accounting and administrative functions for staff in Great Falls and country operations in Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota.
- Ensure that inbound and outbound grain shipments and inventory adjustments are accounted for in our accounting system and are properly mapped to income and expense accounts in AgTech (grain industry specific software)
- Work with operations department to ensure accurate accounting for grain located in offsite storage locations
- Optimize processes to increase and improve efficiency within the department
- Ensure staff members are recording and paying various shipment related costs and accounting for them properly (freight, demurrage, quality settlements, etc.)
- Create and maintain an internal audit function over inventory, grain accounts payable/receivable
- Maintain an efficient record keeping and organized filing methodology in order to facilitate record retrieval for audit purposes.
Compliance and Regulation
- Ensure compliance with Federal and State grain warehousing and buying licenses and other regulations. This will include internal controls over DPR, grain tax (checkoff), fertilizer taxes and reporting, etc.
- Manage United States Department of Agriculture Commodity Credit Corporation audits to ensure the Company maintains its warehouse licenses.
- Ensure various other licenses are up to date (pesticide, fertilizer)
- Collaborate with merchandisers, logistics, and executive teams to deliver accurate reporting, and ensure proper documentation is completed.
- Collaborate with Director of Accounting to estimate month-end results, costings, and accruals to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Reconcile all grain related general ledger accounts and maintain support for those reconciliations.
- Play a supervisory role with the year-end audit, collaborating with Director of Accounting to ensure audit is completed satisfactorily.
- Manage bank reconciliation process in collaboration with Corporate accounting department.
- Maintain various lease schedules and payments (land, buildings and equipment)
- Oversee Canadian accounting for Canadian elevator locations (including foreign currency bank accounts)
Customer Service and Collections
- Communicate with customers including but not limited to; settling disputed charges, collecting long outstanding receivable balances, grain quality issues.
- Ensure timeliness of billing to customers and prompt follow up on any questions
Accounting/ERP Systems Knowledge
- Develop and maintain an expert level knowledge of AgTech (grain industry specific) accounting software
- Train and develop new employees on AgTech accounting software know how
Human Resources Support
- Manage HR related aspects of employees at Great Falls office; including hiring, approving time cards, annual evaluations, and terminations, in collaboration with corporate HR department.
- Ensure that all direct and indirect reports are adequately trained to perform their job duties.
- Various other ad hoc reporting and accounting/management related tasks as deemed necessary by the Company’s management team
- Undergraduate Degree in Accounting, Finance
- CPA preferred but not required
- Experience in the grain handling industry a plus
- Eight or more years of accounting experience, including five or more years of supervisory duties
- Ethical, honest working style
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, being able to communicate with upper management, as well as junior level employees
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment
- High level of attention to detail, and ability to research and dissect data to solve accounting issues.
- Self-motivated, and effective results driven managerial style
- Demonstrated ability at solving complex operational and accounting challenges
- Strong ability to multitask
- Excellent abilities with MS Office Suite, especially Excel and Word
- Excellent Health, Dental, RX and Aflac benefits
- Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement savings plan
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
For more information about Columbia Grain visit https://www.columbiagrain.com/
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer