Elevator Manager Trainee
|Reports To:||Elevator Manager|
Columbia Grain International, LLC. is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 60 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MT, NE and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are a mid-size company with just over 450 employees overall. The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
The primary responsibilities of the Elevator Manager Trainee will work with location manager, elevator employees and regional office personnel to learn and execute all aspects of elevator operations including safety programs and operational procedures. The Elevator Manager Trainee will work with the other members of the team to work toward operational goals while maintaining quality and efficiencies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain awareness of inventory quantities as well as quality of inventory.
- Learn to grade grain, blend grain, and load outbound trucks &\or trains.
- Maintain knowledge of changing economics of current market values, rail freight values, truck transportation costs and local competition.
- Create and develop customer and industry relationships
- Maintain a profitable margin while increasing facility volume.
- Understand elevator logistics and keep operations personnel updated on all inbound and outbound grain quantity and quality specs.
- Issue and execute cash purchase contracts and grower agreements.
- Other duties assigned.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment preferred.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instruction, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, storage, interest, commissions, ratios and conversions quickly and accurately.
- Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required work with good attendance.
Physical Requirements necessary to perform this job
- Must be able to move freely throughout the operations plant to include walking on elevated platforms, standing, sitting, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crawling
- Ability to regularly lift and move up to 10 lbs., frequently lift and move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift and move up to 100 lbs.
- Exposure to extreme climate temperatures, humidity and noise
- Must be able to work in high places and confined spaces (height up to 100 feet).
- Occasionally required to taste and smell
- Required to wear protective equipment to include hard hat, safety glasses, protective footwear, gloves, coveralls, and other PPE as required.
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and RX benefits
- Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement savings plan
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer