Grain Buyer Trainee
|Reports To:||Senior Vice-President|
Columbia Grain International, LLC. is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 50 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MN, MT, NE and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are a mid-size company with just over 450 employees overall. The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
The Grain Buyer Trainee will train with the Grain Buyer with procuring (negotiating, buying) and contract management for pulses and grains from local farmers. Columbia Grain will fully train the right candidate. This position will work closely with seasoned management and staff in many aspects of the grain business to gain a skill set specific to our needs as well as an overall appreciation for the industry.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain knowledge of changing economics of current market values, rail freight values, truck transportation costs and local competition.
- Create and develop customer and industry relationships.
- Maintain a profitable margin while increasing company volume.
- Ability to understand elevator logistics and keep operations personnel updated on all inbound and outbound grain quantity and quality specs.
- Issue and execute purchase contracts and grower agreements.
- Other duties assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or Business-related.
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills to evaluate problems and apply knowledge to identify appropriate solutions; ability to resolve issues effectively and efficiently.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to establish solid working relationships.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and other employees.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive to successfully achieve the function of the position.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, storage, interest, commissions, ratios and conversions quickly and accurately.
- Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required work with good attendance.
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and RX benefits
- Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement savings plan
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer