Columbia Grain International, LLC is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 45 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MN, MT, and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are a mid-size company with just over 350 employees overall. The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
Responsible for buying and selling various commodities, utilizing shuttle freight, DET’s, COT’s, single rail cars and trucks. Responsible for planning, procurement, storage and processing programs for the company’s interior handling/processing operations and coordinating shipments to suit. The ideal candidate will be able to receive and digest input from multiple sources, then form and execute a plan in a fast-paced, dynamic global market environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Trades commodities for the company as a profit/loss center.
- Monitors export and domestic markets and arbitrage opportunities.
- Collaborate on shipments with elevator managers, other merchants and customers.
- Contributes in planning processing programs based on purchases and sales.
- Contributes in projecting freight needs to ensure timely product delivery.
- Communicates with other company departments, vendors and customers.
This job may supervise one or more Merchant Trainees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in a fast-paced, dynamic market environment. Attention to detail and ability to multi-task are essential. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or Business-related or 4 year’s industry experience.
- Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills to evaluate problems and apply knowledge to identify appropriate solutions; ability to resolve issues effectively and efficiently.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to establish solid working relationships.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with multiple variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and other employees.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with all levels of management.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive to successfully achieve the function of the position.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, storage, interest, commissions, ratios and conversions quickly and accurately.
- Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required work with good attendance.
- Competitive wages depending on experience
- Excellent Health, Dental, RX and Aflac benefits
- Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement savings plan with a rich employer contribution
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer