Operations Manager Trainee
|Reports To:||Location Manager|
Columbia Grain International, LLC. is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 60 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MT, NE and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are a mid-size company with over 450 employees overall. The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
The Operations Manager Trainee will work with the Location Manager to learn all aspects of the operations, including implementing policies and programs and ensuring the growth and profitability of the grain department. The Operations Manager Trainee will work with the other members of the team to work toward operational goals while maintaining quality and efficiencies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises, leads, and develops the grain operations personnel.
- Responsible for the profitability of the facilities through distribution, warehousing, and purchasing of grain.
- Manage, evaluate, and develop operations employees.
- Modifies operation and inventory control programs to maintain and enhance profits.
- Coordinates and conducts safety training in conjunction with the Director of Safety.
- Ability to maintain company equipment including but not limited to all grain handling equipment and grain bins.
- Requires knowledge and training ability in shipping and receiving processes.
- Knowledge of grain conditioning equipment in order to maintain grain quality.
- Ability to effectively communicate essential information to Location Manager as needed.
- Ensure all housekeeping and sanitation requirements are maintained.
- Other duties assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Ag or Operations related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in operations, or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Demonstrated core competencies including progressive business knowledge, operational volumes, mechanical understanding, budgeting process, collaboration, communication, customer focus, decision making and skill development.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instruction, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Solid knowledge of working with a computer and mechanical skills.
- Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required work with good attendance.
Physical Requirements necessary to perform this job
- Must be able to move freely throughout the grain handling and storage to include climbing vertical heights (0-150’), walking on elevated platforms, carrying tools and equipment (0-50lbs), exposure to extreme temperatures (0-100 degree Fahrenheit), humidity (0-100%), noise (50db to 100bd), and chemical (SDS sheets available).
- Ability to regularly lift and move up to 10 lbs., frequently lift and move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift and move up to 100 lbs.
- Exposure to extreme climate temperatures, humidity and noise.
- Must be able to work in high places and confined spaces.
- Required to wear protective equipment to include hard hat, safety glasses, protective footwear, gloves, coveralls, and other PPE as required.
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and RX benefits
- Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement savings plan
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer