Columbia Grain International, LLC is a global leader in the origination, processing, logistics and distribution of high-quality bulk grains, pulses, edible beans, oilseeds, and organics for domestic and worldwide export markets. Our vertically integrated company is headquartered in Portland, OR, and we own and operate over 60 facilities including grain elevators and pulse processing plants across WA, ID, MT, NE, and ND.
At all levels of our organization, our employees are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We’ve spent over 40 years cultivating lasting partnerships with a wide network of producers and the local communities surrounding our facilities, which enables us to source the highest quality product to “make markets” and fulfill our mission of nourishing the world, safely.
Our internship program is designed to introduce candidates to a career field of Occupational Health & Safety for facilities in the agriculture business. Primary responsibility is to assist the Safety Manager in enforcing and regulating all safety Policy procedures to ensure that Columbia Grain International LLC meets all safety requirements in the field and all facilities to better understand the management and coordination of all division safety activities and construction process.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all tasks and functions on project sites are performed safely in accordance with company safety policies and OSHA standards.
- Help implement the Corporate Safety Award Program.
- Provide distribution of certification cards for various industrial equipment training and maintain record of industrial equipment training.
- Report and manage all company vehicle claims.
- Assist in reporting workers compensation claims.
- Update Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) manual.
- Assemble various safety manuals for distribution.
- Assist in implementing and distributing safety tailgate meetings.
- Maintain record of signed safety tailgate meeting forms.
- Coordinate trainings and audits with area safety team.
- Pursuing a four-year degree in Business of an Agriculture or related field.
- Previous experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment a plus.
- Familiarity with writing reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instruction, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, storage, interest, commissions, ratios and conversions quickly and accurately.
- Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required work with good attendance.
Physical Requirements necessary to perform this job
- Must be able to move freely throughout the operations plant to include walking on elevated platforms, standing, sitting, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crawling
- Ability to regularly lift and move up to 10 lbs., frequently lift and move up to 25 lbs. and occasionally lift and move up to 100 lbs.
- Exposure to extreme climate temperatures, humidity and noise
- Must be able to work in high places and confined spaces (height up to 100 feet).
- Occasionally required to taste and smell
- May be required to wear protective equipment to include hard hat, safety glasses, protective footwear, gloves, coveralls, and other PPE as required.
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer